Choosing the right contractor to build the house of your dreams
If you’re worried about the hassles of searching for an authentic custom home contractor who could design your home per your plans, you might be pleased to know that there are plenty of them out there who are reliable and honest, and therefore can be trusted. There are, however, unreliable ones in the market that you need to avoid making a deal with. Listed below are noteworthy points to consider when you start your search for the right general contractor:
· Do not blindly go for general contractors or “GCs” that offer cheap rates.
· Try to calculate estimates for at least around two-to-three times.
· If you are not comfortable with a certain contractor or feel apprehensive about him, don’t hire him right away. Relying on legal documents for complete security is not a good idea.
· It is always wise to research on the contractor’s history. If a licensing board is issued by the state for contractors, ring them up find out if your contractor has a verified license and a history free of any major complaints.
· Ring up the Texas ‘Better Business Bureau’ to check out if there are any on-file complaints recorded.
· Do not hesitate in properly interviewing each contractor you call for a quote. Inquire about the type of builder compensation insurance they have. Also, make sure you have their policy-number along with the insurance company’s contact details for verifications. You could get into trouble concerned with law and extra costs, if any injuries occur on workplace.
· Make certain that the GC possesses a comprehensive general liability policy.
· It is smart to avoid hiring contractors who suggest frequent changes, telling you that it will help cut down the costs or increase quality. It is wise not to go for those who suggest changes that will be potentially costly either.
· Always go for the builder that has a very strong background due to remarkable performance in the past. It would be great to inquire about the past clients and take the time to call them up or even visit if you can. It is to be noted that a genuine contractor will never refrain from lending details of his past clients. In fact, he would be pleased to give you all his referrals.
· Pick out a builder based on testimonials of the local businesses he carries out his deals with frequently; for example, suppliers, banks, officials, etc. of the Brazos Valley area.
· Go for the builder that has a friendly attitude and a well-educated appearance; who is most likely to listen to you and understand your preferences with proper consideration.
· Ultimately, do not make hasty decisions, even if the market seems to be extremely competitive. Quick decisions without proper analysis of the situation most often lead to big problems in future. Stay calm and ponder upon all the factors thoroughly. Look before you leap!
· Do not! Do not make any depository or advance payments to the contractors when you meet him the first time. It’s not that the contractor population is going extinct; there are plenty of them out there. An authentic and good contractor will always come to you with consultations and suggestions before he takes the payment to start his work.